The Honey Boo Boo Boom
How does a show that draws so much negative commentary online draw such a massive television audience?
I talked to Rich Juzwiak, staff writer at Gawker about the phenomenon of ”Here Comes Honey Boo Boo” and how negative online buzz often means positive ratings.
There sure are a lot of sad and defensive rationalizations in this video. None of them are from the clips of the show.
I’m sorry, this is the 21st century freak show and you can say whatever the fuck you want about it being “positive” but you’re still an asshole throwing peanuts at the Elephant Man.
Bloggers are paid by the page view, and one thing they have all learned is that people love to click on articles that trash stuff they hate rather than articles that are enthusiastic about things they enjoy (Unless it’s about Louis CK). Blogs love it when everyone hates something, because your fascination with how these people get famous makes money for the people that make them famous. Would you have ever heard of Honey Boo Boo if some dumb blog didn’t lift a clip from Toddlers and Tiaras? You know, that show only bloggers watched? I bet they are shitting themselves dry that they managed to create a TV sensation and continue their parasitic symbiosis.
Also, the idea that any reality show is “raw” is asinine. These shows are as raw as a thawed microwave dinner. Any sort of authenticity is cut out of these shows to cram in nonsense story lines. If you want a “raw” show, you should watch some of those ghost shows on cable, where you the viewer get to waste an entire evening listening to nothing happen.
But then there is that classic defense. It’s a trainwreck, you can’t look away. You know why you can’t look away from a trainwreck? They are rare. Has anyone ever seen a real trainwreck? There’s like 1 ever 5 years on the news. There are a lot more human trainwrecks in the world, and most of us are lucky if we aren’t one. Having a fucked-up life isn’t all that special any more, and having a lack of manners is what Americans do best.
Watching trainwreck after trainwreck for entertainment never exposes you to any sort of human drama you could reflect on or a new idea to ponder. All it does is exercise your hate and judgement. If you want to be the kind of person who’s really good at pointing out why things suck, then happy watching.
No one writes angry screeds about assholes like Adam does.
- lindsay-grace likes this
- newfound-meaning likes this
- accio-hitlers-breast-milk reblogged this from thiscrazyworldwelivein
- thiscrazyworldwelivein reblogged this from soupsoup
- intellectuals0ul reblogged this from artworkthroughtime
- theillestcreation likes this
- edgar2303 likes this
- yes-im-in-the-zone reblogged this from soupsoup
- ramseyesscom likes this
- eecunnings reblogged this from jonbershad and added:
- bee-uh-treis-maaang reblogged this from trexfelicia
- trexfelicia reblogged this from lisztomanism
- trexfelicia likes this
- chingdee likes this
- sophiniesom likes this
- anastaciaspada likes this
- red1studios said: I will even go so far as to say that this video and its comentator itself are utterly rediculous in their analysys of trash TV. Positivity out of Honey Boo Boo, is a sad, and disgraceful joke. Whats next? “Meet the Down Syndrome Family”? Sad.
- sheonlywearsblue likes this
- bondjanebond likes this
- dwainleland likes this
- insecurelynarcissistic likes this
- irvin-rojas likes this
- bethrushing reblogged this from soupsoup
- adrdem reblogged this from soupsoup and added:
- incogneglo likes this
- haginn likes this
- lindsey-halee likes this
- jamiepeck likes this
- syncingpleasewait likes this
- darlinn-the50s likes this
- amazonstudios reblogged this from soupsoup and added:
- conniemccools likes this
- gmiah likes this
- hidinginthesleevesofmycoat likes this
- ferny09 likes this
- atompowers likes this
- bonsaigiraffe reblogged this from soupsoup
- reinasays likes this
- ttabasco likes this
- corinneanne reblogged this from soupsoup and added:
- kenekaplan likes this
- gin4gerhoran likes this
- sarahlaughsallthetime reblogged this from soupsoup
- thebubblyterror reblogged this from soupsoup
- trapjahovah likes this
- somuchfunithurts likes this
- seagull said: Does Honey Boo Boo really deserve an annoying pin??
- theswagginblog reblogged this from soupsoup
- themediaphile reblogged this from soupsoup and added:
- whattheworldhastooffer likes this