What Doctor Who character do you think of when I describe this: “She is a beautiful, smart, teasing, flirty, confident woman who can do things the Doctor can’t”. Did you think of Amy Pond, Sally Sparrow, or River Song? Or did you think of the new character in this episode, who is exactly the same as all of these other characters? Objectively bad writing. She already has that idolising look, self-described genius to boot … I’m sick of this. You can just picture Moffat salivating. “A WOMAN! A brilliant sexy WOMAN! HOW EXCITING!”
No. How boring. You know what turns me on? Characters with dimensions.
Unlike Alex Day, I liked the new Doctor Who episode, but this has been starting to nag me.
Like, couldn’t we get a nerdy Medieval nun for a companion? Or a tomboyish, laconic Indian weapons-expert from the 23rd century? Or at the very least, a Time Agent? Someone who doesn’t need to constantly be rescued or who doesn’t always need to flirt or who’s character strengths as a companion amount to more than being “fiesty”?
“Fiesty” is just a word I notice people use when a female is allowed to speak out of turn occasionally, but maintains her sexual desirability.
Isn’t it possible that Oswin was an entirely stereotypical companion purely to throw us off from the twist at the end?
That’s how I read it. Everything in the episode was designed to make us think she was some kind of pre-fab companion, ready to instantly be slipped into the role.
Look, I also think its getting a bit silly that modern Doctor can’t travel with anyone who isn’t a gorgeous 24 year old, but it seems plain dumb to complain about a character we haven’t actually met yet. I mean, what do we know about the real Oswin? Nothing except she’s a genius and screamed “WHERE AM I?” when she died. Everything else we saw was a robot with malfunctioning human memories. Not to mention the fact that this might not even be the companion. We just know its the same actress.
So, I don’t know. Chill out and talk about Breaking Bad, maybe?
(Or just don’t listen to me. I thought Donna was the most unpleasant TV character to ever grace my screen and I seem to be in the minority on that)
- inspirationandstoriesandjen likes this
- dreamingonlysweetly reblogged this from artistsarepussies
- mooging likes this
- withthingsunreal reblogged this from artistsarepussies
- kim-kelly likes this
- enajcosta likes this
- victorianniffler likes this
- mapsbackwards likes this
- amousesmessaboutintimeandspace likes this
- kaza999 likes this
- dragonbier likes this
- supersexy-cool likes this
- cat-comets likes this
- shh-im-wondering likes this
- it-all-leads-to-the-wild likes this
- flaface likes this
- velociranga likes this
- ireallylovesandwiches reblogged this from iwouldnttradethemoon
- purplueprose likes this
- mybravehenry likes this
- alexleefitz likes this
- beebonious reblogged this from emygame
- emygame reblogged this from megsokay
- megsokay reblogged this from jonbershad
- jonbershad reblogged this from megsokay
- sarahsamudre likes this
- samaralex likes this
- forcedrhyme reblogged this from iwouldnttradethemoon
- notnadia likes this
- thedoctorwiththebrokenheart likes this
- runs-on-ramen reblogged this from megsokay
- itsfrantastic likes this
- gerutha likes this
- nicolemarietherese likes this
- nickjbarlow likes this
- artistsarepussies reblogged this from megsokay
- shiveringcharcoal reblogged this from megsokay
- semperidem said: Did you watch that Women of Doctor Who special? I was having many of these same thoughts as I watched that.
- iwouldnttradethemoon reblogged this from megsokay
- rhube reblogged this from megsokay
- semperidem likes this
- ceyren likes this
- wakeupboo likes this
- megsokay posted this