God damn I love this movie.
Y’know the funny thing? Lost in Translation always makes me think of Juan, the Mexican exchange student who went to my high school junior year.
My super cool friends and I were the dudes (and a couple of ladies) who went to the movies every single week because we didn’t have anything better to do. On weekend nights that we didn’t go to the movies, we went to parties. We were the guys who weren’t invited to the parties per se, but knew enough people that we our presence wasn’t unwelcome. We just had to hear about the parties second hand an hour or so after they started.
Anyway, the week Juan first arrived, he hadn’t made too many friends at first. We were going to the movies as usual, so I invited him to come.
The movie was Lost in Translation which, as a huge Bill Murray and Virgin Suicides fan (personally I like the book better but I think it’s really interesting how Jeffrey Eugenides focusses on the boys while Sophia Coppola told the same story from the girls’ perspective), I was incredibly excited about it.
My friends and I all loved it but Juan…he hated it.
“He’s so old!” he kept complaining during the movie. “Why would that hot chick ever like him?! Why hasn’t he fucked her?”
That’s actually the way he talked. Juan was an awesome dude but, seriously, he talked like a stereotypical foreign exchange student in a teen movie produced back when casual racism was still funny. He seriously used the phrase “American pussy” (pronounced “PU-say”) multiple times with me.
Anyway, Lost in Translation was the movie that helped Juan realize that we were not the friends who were going to help him get any pussy, American or otherwise. The next week, he quietly shuffled away from the dudes who were tolerated at big parties to the dudes who actually threw them.
Not that I didn’t throw the occasional party. In fact, I threw Juan’s going away party the next summer. Here’s a picture of the two of us from that night:
ps. Recently, I just started to realize that I look like a completely different person than I did in high school. Like I have a different shaped head. How the fuck did that happen?
- randomglory likes this
- nikkijbe reblogged this from lollalaroc
- puckster87 reblogged this from beneath-the-concrete-star and added:
- beneath-the-concrete-star reblogged this from wurwolf
- wurwolf reblogged this from la-persienne
- tapetiteblonde likes this
- alleyes16 reblogged this from staygoldjess
- vintageblossom likes this
- lifelikeoldmovies reblogged this from femme-solitaire
- wurwolf likes this
- la-persienne reblogged this from lollalaroc
- la-persienne likes this
- egonschielejetaime reblogged this from daybyd
- unparfaitmonsieur likes this
- daybyd reblogged this from staygoldjess
- awesome-wells reblogged this from femme-solitaire
- losperrosdepavlov reblogged this from staygoldjess
- springgreens likes this
- eannaw likes this
- thatscloseman reblogged this from staygoldjess
- imsome-oneelse reblogged this from everythingsuchas
- ballbusta likes this
- daybyd likes this
- juno082 reblogged this from everythingsuchas
- everythingsuchas reblogged this from staygoldjess
- johnsteinbeck- likes this
- staygoldjess reblogged this from femme-solitaire
- mentalbits likes this
- edited-doctor reblogged this from misterbombastic
- talkingfawn likes this
- misterbombastic reblogged this from annie
- seamlessrhymes reblogged this from femme-solitaire
- seamlessrhymes likes this
- annysasha likes this
- cenwatchglass likes this
- ghostsofpast reblogged this from femme-solitaire
- lafemmeadultere likes this
- femme-solitaire reblogged this from lollalaroc
- tightrope-walker-of-life likes this
- theloniousfunk likes this
- manwithoutacountry reblogged this from annie
- lunarmission reblogged this from annie
- mindspit likes this
- red5iam likes this
- wunderkammernnnn likes this
- 0equalz2 reblogged this from annie
- 0equalz2 likes this
- irresistiblecatch likes this
- thelongandlonelyroad reblogged this from annie